This recipe is taken from Peace Love and Barbecue and modified by me (basically to make it hotter!). I may be biassed, but this is by far the most delicious BBQ sauce I have been lucky enough to taste.
- 1 cup tomato sauce (Masterfoods)
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Bulmers Apply Cider
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup raw brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 table spoon American mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (or more if you dare)
- 1/2 cup Bacon bits, ground fine
- 1/2 cup finely grated apple
- 1/3 cup finely grated onion
Combine all ingredients aside from apple and onion in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Slowly add apple and onion and simmer for about 20 minutes to thicken.